The year 1942 saw the emergence of A.M.Ahamed & Co., with business experience and tireless efforts of seven Partners in Adirampattinam, Thanjavur District. The Founder and managing Partner, Late M.Abdul Jabbar, a great visionary with an impulsive flair for Business and of indomitable courage, was the guiding force. Furthermore, he had the humane and benevolent qualities in philanthropy, discipline, humbleness, co-operation that are vitally needed in managing a work force leading to the initial formation of the company.
Emboldened by its unabated success, in its chosen field of activities, in Adirampattinam, futher the company shifted to Chennai (Madras) in 1943 and the Patnership was registered with the Registrar of Firms in December 1945.
Any endeavour started well has to succeed and today the wide spectrum of activities under one roof, can be broadly classified as :-
• Stevedoring, handling, warehousing and transportation
• Customs clearance and freight forwarding
• Steamer Agency
• Engineering Services – Civil
The entire umbrella of operations carries the unique STAMP of EXPERIENCE, EXPERTISE and EXCELLENCE, being the hallmark of services. The Company is now adequately supported by a network of branches at Mumbai, Tuticorin, Nagapattinam, Sirkazhi besides Adirampattinam and Chennai.
Since 1998, the Company has been accorded the status of an EXPORT HOUSE, in accordance with the provisions of the EXIM policy. Agricultural commodities – Onion, Chillies, Groundnuts, Cashew kernels, jiggery – all perishable food items – and printed books also form the bulk of exports.
India is cresting the wave of an unprecedented export boom and export obviously occupies the pride of place in the Company’s Business, with many firsts to its credit.
Since the inception, continuous and persistent efforts on Systems Revamping, being the Company’s overriding objective, have been taken, for the entire chain of operations from the ship’s Holds to the Trucks/ Wagons and transfer to the warehouse or vice-versa, being accelerated to the maximum and at the same time, reducing the operative costs to the minimum, with optimum utilization of various inputs – human and material resources – not overlooking the vitally important factors – Safety, Quality of service and Efficiency. In 1965, first time in India, the Company introduced at Tuticorin the new system of bagging the bulk food grains on board the vessel and discharging into the barges, thereby saving huge expenditure towards the cost of gunny bags. After the successful implementation of the system, the government of India started importing food grains and fertilizers in bulk. In a nutshell, the Company having vast experience in all areas of Stevedoring – Bagging and discharging of bulk cargo, palletizing cargo before loading, handling and loading pre-slung cargo, such as steel coils, heavy lifts, General cargo, containers, standardisation and closing the bags by machine-stitching, warehousing and transportation. The company is the leader in the true sense of the term, in these areas of operations and evidently, stevedoring is yet another pioneering activity of the company.
Both are synonymous with Import – Export Trade and can easily be regarded as the most traditional segment of Maritime Trade. During the last decade – 1990 to 2000 – the company has handled 9.27 million packages and the total cess paid has been around 31.6 million.
The company has acted as steamer agents between 1968 and 1995 at Tuticorin for M/S Southern Shipping Corporation Pvt Ltd., Chennai who are the principal agents for Yugoslavian Vessels. Between 1991 and 1996, the company was the agent at Tuticorin for the Maldivian vessels “LILYMAA”, “LILY MOO” and “LISTRAC” owned by Lily Enterprises Pte Ltd., Maldives and they plying between Male, Tuticorin and Far East.
During the period 1968 to 2000, more than 90 million of civil engineering construction activities have been successfully completed.
• Mining and Transport of 3000 Tonnes line stone for Tamilnadu Cements Corporation at Alangulam, during 1968-69.
• Construction of Technical Buildings for Department of Space, Government of India, at Sriharikotta, during 1974.
• Reclamation of Approach Arm along South Break Water in new port of Tuticorin, during 1972-73.
• Assorted customer tailored construction works like fishing harbour jetty, warehouses including fabrication of tubular Trusses, Modern Spinning Mills with Quarters for Government of India etc.,
• Construction of RCC jetty, Mallipattinam fishing harbour, Tamilnadu Port Department, Government of Tamilnadu.
The Company’s dominant position, is further exemplified by the customer’s roster and to name a few includes :
• National Buildings Construction Ltd.,
• Food Corporation of India,
• Madras Fertilizers Ltd.,
• The Shipping Corporation of India Ltd.,
• Tamilnadu Electricity Board,
• Tamilnadu Newsprint and Papers Ltd.,
• Tamilnadu Cement Corporation Ltd.,
• Tuticorin Thermal Power Station
• Southern Petrochemicals Industries Corporation Ltd.,
• Steel Furnace Association of India (Souther Region)
• Kerala State Warehousing Corporation Ltd.,
• Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers Ltd.,
• Rallis India Ltd.,
• Punjab Civil Supplies Corpoartion,
• Hindustan Lever Ltd.,
• Ramco Industries Ltd.,
• Gujarat Co-operative Milk Marketing Federation Ltd.,
• Karnatake Soap and Detergents Ltd.,
• J.L. Morrison (India) Ltd.,
• Mysore Sale International Ltd.,
• The Consumers Co-operative Store Ltd., Port Blair.